Friday 30 August 2013

To-morrow morning our treasure will be shared and showered upon you



John Blanche, from Slaves to Darkness       

"Just so I ruled the Ring-Danes country
for fifty years, defended them in wartime...
Still, what happened was a hard reversal
from bliss to grief. Grendel struck
from lying in wait. He laid waste to the land
and from that moment my mind was in dread
of his depredations. So I praise God
in His heavenly glory that I lived to behold
this head dripping blood and that after such harrowing
I can look upon it in triumph at last. 
Take your place, then, with pride and pleasure
and move to the feast. To-morrow morning 
our treasure will be shared and showered upon you." 

A bit of Beowulf, trans. by Seamus Heaney, who died today. 


No comments:

Post a Comment